Library Behavior Policy
The David and Joyce Milne Public Library welcomes everyone who wishes to participate in its cultural, recreational, and learning activities.
To maintain an enjoyable and positive atmosphere in which the safety and rights of the library’s patrons, staff, and property are respected, we ask all library users to adhere to the following rules and regulations:
- Smoking is prohibited.
- The use of cell phones is prohibited. (Please either turn off your cell phone or set it to vibrate while in the library. If you must take or make a cell phone call, please do so outside.)
- Food and beverages are prohibited in the computer room. Patrons are asked to be sensitive to maintenance concerns and preservation of library property when eating or drinking elsewhere in the library.
- Sleeping is prohibited.
- Patrons must wear shirts and shoes, and their personal hygiene must not interfere with the ability of others to use and/or enjoy the library.
- Unwelcome attention to library staff or other patrons, physical or verbal, is prohibited.
- Confrontational or disruptive behavior, rudeness or the use of vulgar, profane, or threatening language are prohibited.
- Unless accompanied by or selecting books or other materials for a child or child-related project, adults are excluded from using the Children’s Library.
- Parents are responsible for the supervision and behavior of their children.
- Tutors or study groups must use a meeting room if available and cannot hold meetings in public reading areas.
- Solicitation of any kind, including political campaigning, is prohibited. See the policy for Use of Library Space for Fundraising and Raffles.
Anyone violating these rules, or engaging in any unlawful activity on Library premises, will be subject to exclusion and possible Police action.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees 3/12/08